Wednesday, August 18, 2010

90 minutes in Heaven

I was driving around singing the Revelation Song with my hands in the air, and I reflected on a book I read prior to Laynie. It was a true story titled "90 minutes in heaven". It's a story about a preacher that is on his way home from some church event and his car was smashed by a semi. He was pronounced dead at the scene. A preacher in a car behind him that saw the whole thing, was compelled by God to get out of his car, and go to the scene to assist. Even though the paramedics told him that Don Piper was dead, he said "Something made me go to that car and pray for him". Mr. Piper was so smashed in his car, the preacher could only touch his shoulder, but as he sat there holding the shoulder of a dead man, he prayed. He prayed so hard that he ran out of words to pray. And when he ran out of words to pray he started singing.... and as he was singing, he heard a sound in the car with him. The man that had been pronounced dead, was singing with him. This book rocked my world.



What I remember most about this book was Brother Piper's journey back. It took him a long time to admit to anyone what happened to him during his 90 minutes of "death". What he describes is so beautiful and so powerful, that it changed my entire way of thinking, and it also made me homesick for a place that until then, remained a puzzle to me.


He said that he remembers bright lights, and then the faces of his loved ones, his father, his grandparents...the most beloved people in his life, standing there whole and perfect and with joy permeating through them. Nothing but jubilant joy and happiness and love, he felt all of that in hundredfold. Then he goes on to describe the singing and the colors and the magnificant perfection of what he was experiencing.... I'm not kidding here. It changed me.


I have to believe, and I sincerely 100% believe that little Laynie was greeted by her PawPaw Harold with the most crushing hug she had ever experienced. I remember saying a hundred times during her life to my mom, "Wouldn't dad have just adored her?" and now it's his turn. It's his turn, and my precious memaw, who could cook the meanest meal on the planet, and my aunts and uncles, and all the loved ones that have gone on to the "light and music" of heaven.


If you have not read this book, I highly recommend it. It gave me a peace about dying that nothing else ever has. We are only dead to this worldy existence.... and so alive in what we have been striving for as Christians our entire life..... eternal life with our heavenly Father.


With all our loved ones. There is no way I want to mess that up. I am homesick for the day that I can be reunited with my loved ones. And I don't dread or worry about that at all. I am ready to be part of the eternity that I am promised, given to me from a Savior that died on a cross for me. That is powerful stuff friends.


90 minutes in Heaven.... It's a book to read... but my goal is Eternal life in Heaven.... someday.


God is Good, all the time.

No comments: