Tuesday, August 3, 2010

My first outings ... July 18, 2010

I decided I had to go out and see people that "knew" so I can ease back into life. I didn't just ease, I jumped with both feet. First, at church, then to the class a year younger than me (1980), had their 30 year reunion last night and so many friends on FB, I had to go see them. What a night.


The reunion was amazing. All my "Little sisters and Brothers" that I loved from school...most of them fully aware of Laynie. It is so gratifying to be able to share and see friends that I don't have to tell them a word. They just know. They know me, they know my family. And they could comfort me, without saying a word, just a hug. It was truly amazing. My class reunions are the BOMB, but 80's class blew our best reunion away. (sorry fellow 79er's, its true). I think Facebook helped. Most of the people I saw there are faithful FB peeps. Very very cool. I heard alot of "I only got on FB to keep up with Laynie. I was totally drawn in". Laynie had that effect on people. How could you resist that smile?? That bald head? Those precious feet? No one could.

Church. We are having our "At the Movies" series, which is the Deaton family's absolute favorite of the year, and of course, the movie is UP. Ok, even at the theatre, before I dissected it and watched it with an open heart, I looked at the kids I took, and while they were completely dry eyed, I'm bawling buckets of snot at the theatre. "Seriously?" I asked the kids. "Did I pay to see this heartpulling movie?"....so of course, that's the movie we talk about, my first week back after losing Laynie.

I took three things away from church yesterday and Lacey already shared two with you last night...

-When one chapter comes to an end, never EVER give up hope.
-Life is an adventure, with unexpected storms. You'll be surprised what God teaches you in the storms.
-Doing life daily with those you truly love. This day is the only day we are promised.
Before Laynie, I had a visceral view of these things. Now living it, it's the only way that matters.

People at church knew Lolly, but didn't know ME as Lolly. Interesting. Toni told me it was because I had a picture of Laynie on my page for so long that new friends hadn't made the connection. So, my sweet friend, Jaime, from church, just really had a hard time. But as always, because Laynie taught me so much, I have things about our conversation that I want to share with you guys.

Jaime, through tears, told me her biggest fear in life is losing her kids. Boy, do I understand that. I love my girls so completely that the thought of EVER losing one is beyond comprehension. Until now.

Now, I understand that God gives us children as gifts. There are no warranties, or guarantees. They are a gift. Some live to be old and some get cancer and die, some are taken in accidents. But God is there.. every step of the way. If God is truly FIRST in your life, the storms of losing a child won't defeat you. You will grieve, you will feel the loss, but if you truly let GOD rule in your life, you will accept, and look to Him to show you answers in the WHY. And He will reveal them. But the trick is, you have to be IN HIS POCKET. And so many people don't get in there, because it's easier to blame God than to love Him and accept it. I type all so smart and knowing, like I could handle it if I lost one of my girls.... but friends, this I know... as hard as it would be, because I have "unshakeable faith" now, given to me through a little tiny baby, you have to have God as #1. You give birth to them, you think they are YOURS, but in reality, they are HIS. Always HIS. Look at Abraham. He had to wait 100 years to have a kid. And truthfully, I can only bet his wife wasn't all that thrilled to be pregnant in her late 80's. There'd be some heads rolling in my house. BUT, God told him to take his son and place him on an altar and SACRIFICE him. Give him up. Take his life. Can you even imagine??? And Abraham DID it. Because God was #1 to him. And look at the aftermath. Nothing but good.

Allow God to be #1, because when the Storms of Life come (and they will) You will have your feet firmly planted where they need to be. Safe in God's house. and His House rocks your world. Best storm shelter that is freely given, you just have to find it and ask to be invited in. He's waiting with open arms.

These are things that Laynie taught me.
Friends....get some

God is Good, all the time.

No comments: