Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Falls Creek and the Full Armor of God July 31 2010

Falls Creek is a magical place. Kid's lives are changed. Some stay forever changed, and some stay changed for a week, and some stay changed until they leave the camp. I listened to the speaker implore the kids to "Put on your full armor of God", and I sat and listened and HOPED that they could even grasp what that guy was saying. Cause in High School... I wouldn't have had a clue. At 30 I didn't have a clue. And truth be told, not at 40 either.


When you become a Christian, it's kinda like exercising, it's fun at first, then the soreness hits, and it's not so fun anymore. You come home from Falls Creek and you are ON FIRE. You tell your parents, and they are jazzed, then you tell your brothers, sisters, cousins and they are "whatever", and then you tell your friends, that didn't go to camp with you, and they are like "WHAT?".. and all the sudden you're standing in the middle of a stage, with just your underwear on. And NOT wearing armor, because you don't even know the first thing about The Armor of God. And you go to your home church, and the same ole preacher is up there (and I am NOT dissing preachers, I am just making a general statement) and the same ole hymn is sung, and you lose focus of the intensity of what you just learned. It's hard to be a true Christian in this wordly world. Unless, you don your Full Armor of God. You pick up your Shield and you go. But trust me, the enemy is just waiting for you to drop your shield just an inch. "You're not bold enough... You're not talented enough.... What you say doesn't matter." These things trip me up faster than anything. And that's not anything except the enemy. Raise that Shield, murmur a prayer and move on. God's plan is perfect. And it took me 49 years to figure that out. It took a miracle in the form of a tiny baby to show me.

When we arrived at Falls Creek, Lacey was so disappointed because she was going to talk to Kip's family group about Laynie, and what we didn't count on was the CRAP traffic on I-35, so we arrived late...and God even had that worked out. Another counselor, Darla, who has followed Laynie's story from the very beginning, hugged us and told us that she had been sharing Laynie's story with her Family Group and would love to introduce Lacey to them...... See how that works out? So we got to share her story with a group of Senior/Junior kids and I do believe that Laynie will have about 10 new "friends" as soon as they get home.

Then when we walk into Worship, they sing one of the songs that we had sang at Laynie celebration and the invitation was "I have Decided to Follow Jesus", which I sang to my children as babies, and in turn, Lacey sang it to Laynie countless times, and my heart just broke open with God's hand.

It's hard to explain where we are. We are so firmly girded in our armor. We feel so insulated from the worry and the pain of this life. It's like we were elevated to another place, and that's because of prayer and love and more prayer and belief. I like walking here. I want to keep the "Falls Creek High"... which is a "Laynie High" with me. I shared with Darla that I never wanted to lose the light that she helped me find, and her "You won't" encouraged me. Walk the walk with friends that believe. They are your "earthly angels" .

If you are unhappy with your church, or you think that church is a "Drag" and "All political" and "A farce", then friends I invite you to join me at my place of worship, and see if you can change that feeling. Lifechurch, 5 locations all over the city, or catch it online. See if you won't change your mind. Lifechurch is FallsCreek on steroids. Every week.

Because there is NOTHING, and i repeat, NOTHING, like walking in full armor. It's just like exercising, after you do it a while, you are strong and can do anything. Keep believing in God, keep walking the walk, and you can do anything.

by "Kelli Foster"... One of my friends,Lindsye, text me this picture today...turns out her boyfriend's little brother was at falls creek and they passed out Laynie's bracelets...when she saw it on his wrist she asked "how do you know Laynie?!"--so that's just another example of how her story made a full circle! GOD IS GOOD!!!!
God is Good, all the time.

No comments: