Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Practice Your Turns

I listen to my oldest daughters counsel my younger daughter, on life, and church, on friends, on growing up, and I think to myself "When did they get so smart? Where was I?" Lacey is in such a God Filled, Spirit Fed place right now, that she almost glows with goodness. She was given a task, straight from the hand of God, and she not only started it, she finished it, and knocked the proverbial ball right out of the park. She prayed a prayer to make her less selfish, to quit looking for self gratification in the bible, and to be bold in her journey. She didn't want to be a "quiet Christian", but she didn't know how to get out of her "comfort zone" of life. So God answered her with a 30 month journey that would forever change her. I watch Kip, getting closer and closer to God, so above this earthly walk that she worries she will alienate herself. Here's my thinking, the closer you are to God, the less you care about that stuff. HE truly fills your needs. And the way he answers prayers, showed to us by a Gift straight from His hands to our lives, is perfect. You have to walk in surrendered faith, and that is the hardest part. Giving up that "self" and just "being". That's the piece of the puzzle that was always lost on the floor to me.


I've been brewing this blog in my head all week, and in keeping with my A.D.D., it's changed shapes and words many times. All I know is I hear things different. I could never understand how people could only listen to worship music. What about Journey, Foreigner, KC and the Sunshine Band?? How do you give that music up?? Because when you are filled with the Spirit, you don't want that outside distraction taking you from your walk.. singing "Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight" in your car, now you are singing "Our God is greater, Our God is stronger, God you are higher than ANY other" and raising your hands in the car and singing your heart out, where people sit and stare at you at stop signs. True story.

I'm ending with a story. When Lacey was a sophomore in HS, she made the pom squad. She was not good that first year. I hadn't given her many dance classes and though she had natural talent, she didn't have the technique the other girls had. What she had was drive and determination and a longing to be the best pom girl ever. She practiced turns in my front room for hours, and we had a bald spot in the carpet, where she would turn and turn and turn. And I encouraged, critiqued (yes, I tried to learn to turn and my girls will tell you I stink), cheered, rallied, and she became incredible. She also kept her eye on God through it all, coming home crying one day, "Mom, they were talking about "partying, boys, friends" (I can't remember specifics) and I walked in the room, and one of the girls said "Oh don't tell Lacey, she'll drop to her knees and pray for you". I looked her square in the eye and said "Sis, if that's the worse they say about you, then you have nothing to worry about". But where I was going with this, is this..... I wish everyone had that committed drive to walking with God. Hours and hours of "turns", practicing your Christianity, just being the best "Pom Girl/Christian" you can be. It's the best feeling in the world....taking State, being handed the perfect gift in the form of a baby, understanding it's not about you, always about Him, and truly walking the walk, and finding friends that will encourage you and cheer you on in that journey. It's a National medal in the form of eternal life.

Practice your turns, cause there's dancing in heaven.

God is Good, all the time.

No comments: