Thursday, April 3, 2008

Going Home Tomorrow- Jan 21, 2008

Imagine a baby so small that a preemie onesie fits her like a gown. That's our Laynie Bug.


9:06 PM - 1 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove
Going home TOMORROW
Well, we get to break smidge out...tomorrow. Hospice will come in in the morning and give us the skinny on how to care for her at home, and then be by with praise and encouragement.
I want to talk about victories. Brad is doing so much better. The surgery seemed to do its thing (with the help of oxycotin sp?) and he is around and mobile, though alittle slowly and alittle stooped. Which is a big victory from this time last week. Lacey is amazing. After actually SEEING a c-section first hand (gasp) I don't know how she is even moving, much less doing so terrific. We stayed with Laynie until 3 pm yesterday afternoon and I took Lacey home. She seemed to be doing great, and she had some lifegroup friends coming, so I skidaddled back to the hospital (big surprise) to spend time with Dinky and Auntie Kip. I had planned on staying home last night, but about 30 minutes after arrival at the hospital, Lacey called in her SOS. The "breast pump sucked, the baby wasn't there".....all too much for my heartsick mommy. So her girls rallied her, brought her to the hospital with Brad and they stayed with the baby together for the first time in a while. The NICU nurse rustled up a breast pump (which they refer to as a "Jaguar" in the pump world) and told Lacey we could rent one with the help of Lactation services today. (which they helped us today, and the people at the rental place were so moved by Laynie's story, we have it "no charge, as long as you need it") so there's a blessing. The nurses in the NICU are amazing. They teach us, they encourage us, they love our baby. Just speechless of their goodness. Jordyn, our night nurse last night, knew Lacey hadn't had much "Mommy/Laynie time" and when Brad and I were roaming the halls, (he can't sit for long period of times) she got the recliner for Lacey and had her remove her shirt, stripped Laynie Paynie to her diaper and let them have "skin to skin" with warmed blankets, good tuck in and total privacy. Lacey told me it is the first time she has felt like a mommy. It brought tears to my eyes last night and it brings tears to my eyes today as I think about it again. After we talked to the neonatologist department head this morning (this little girl gets ALL the good stuff) we found out her kreatin (sorry for my spelling) level of her kidneys was getting really high yesterday and after her mommy bonding last night it was back down in the "not so grim" range. Tiny babies respond to skin to skin. It is amazing.
I thought it was hard to type at the hospital. I have to tell you home with Hallie after being away from her for 4 days is worse than any interruptions at the hospital. So if the flow of this isn't quite right. Hello, Hallie.
Once we get home tomorrow, it will be hard for me to blog. The only computer that has internet is down at the clubhouse, and truly I don't think I'll be able to get that far from Laynie Paynie. So, I guess until we know no more, this will be my last blog. I have endless thanks for gobs of people, but I will wait for those til another day. Those of you that need to know things, call my cell. 405-250-9264. Those of you that need to see that girl, we'll be taking appointments for Wed.
We're so blessed for this time. We're so blessed with our friends and family. Pray for Lacey and Brad to stay strong and to have God keep them firmly in His hands through the rest of our journey. Because God is good, all the time.

No comments: