Thursday, April 3, 2008

Ultrasound 12-21-07

Well, Lolly missed the excitement today. Lacey went in at noon to do a "quick" ultrasound to check Smidge out, and when I got out of my meeting in Dallas at 3:00, they were still there. Never good. To stay at a doctor's office for hours. Anyway, our mighty amniotic sac is down to a shocking 2.5 (normal 15), Laynie has had always above 4, never above 7-9, but now that she is 4 lbs +, her fluid is getting VERY low. The doc did a stress test on the baby, and she has NO idea she is in a tight spot, she tested fine. Now, Lacey's stress....hmmm... Lolly's stress....hmmmm.... Don't check us right now. :) Anyway, they gave Lacey a steroid shot today to help Smidge's lung development (Lacey is 33 weeks) and sent one home with her for grammie to give her tomorrow (Sat). With Christmas looming, of course, everything is closed all next week. The doc called around and we'll do another look next Friday, with another stress test, and if her fluid is any lower, I think we'll have us a New Year's baby. Of course, they want to cook her as long as possible, but they are watching (micro-managing) every step of her journey. Lacey was in a for a LONG weekend at work (9 service times for Christmas) and when her doctor heard that, he told her "Uhm, Negative". So she is doctor ordered "Off work" until "6 weeks postpartum". That is good, because last weekend she worked all weekend, and she said "Laynie was so mad at me, she didn't move for a good while". ... which of course, gave us mild palpitations. Her instructions are to go home and walk some, but mainly rest, due to the nature of that baby's fluid. And if she notices ANYTHING different (movement, etc) she is to go to the hospital stat. Wow. As I was driving to Dallas this morning, (I left at 7) I got to watch the beautiful sunrise. I had KLOVE on, and one of my favorite songs was playing.... "How Great is our God". It was a moment, friends. It was a moment for me. I have such a peace in my heart about this whole thing. God created all that wonder. He created all that beauty that surrounded me this morning. He has a plan for everything and everybody. And in that plan is our precious baby. Since so little is known about this disorder, whe "won't know til we know, then we'll know". I believe with a Grandma Prayer Warrior's belief, that she is going to be fine. I believe that the genetic disorder is going to be limited to the low fluid, and her 2 prong umbilical cord. And the fluid on her brain, no big deal. I believe with a Grandma prayer warrior's faith, that all will be well. I know as we go about our CHristmas day rush this year, hurried and harried over all the chaos, all of us can stop and think about the gift of this angel, and the love and grace that has embraced everyone that knows her story. Just as God sent His son for us, knowing full well the sacrifice that lay ahead, He sent Him to save us. THat is huge to me. I've always known the story, and felt the tug, but I've never experienced God. Not to this degree. My life has changed. My attitude has changed. And for the rest of my days, I will share this story and hope it makes a difference to someone. Because it made a difference in me, and my grandbaby will always know that. I pray I get to share the story of her journey with her, and tell her how many lives were impacted because of her. Pray, friends, pray hard this week. . She really needs to stay in another week and let those lungs develop as much as she can.. but God has the plan. and He is good, all the time.

No comments: