Thursday, April 3, 2008

Laynie Hope- 1-18-08

Well , First let's talk good news. Lacey is doing fabulous. She is mobile and
moving great this morning. She wanted to take a shower and she did that ALL By herself. She is alittle cracked up over the fact that her modesty has fled out the window during this deal. We all told her, but she didn't believe us. Guess what? A new member in the believer club. :) Next, Brad had his surgery last night and he is out this morning (already) and when we talked to him earlier, he was in search of food. So that leads me to believe he is feeling better as well. He has lost alot of weight. Lacey is a bit jealous.

Now let's talk about smidge. With the removal of the tubes and the hat and the mask and all the things they had on her sweet body, we see the Trisomy gene in her features. She has a very small head. Of course she has a very small body, but her head is much smaller than her body. We knew this at 24 weeks, but to see it in person, we understand what they mean now. She has a wonderful sucking reflex. She can chew on a pacifier as big as her face. She's happier when she is on her side and can find her fingers, though. With the small head (which I will tell you is as bald as a cue ball, though she will cry when i talk about it to visitors I take to see her) leads us to believe the fluid they saw on the brain, is indeed that. Fluid. But under the fluid, still unclear. She has alot of loose skin on the back of her head (reminds me of an old grandpa) and really no clear neck. But let me tell you something else about this little lady. She loves her Lolly. When I sing to her, sing turns her head and moves her arms as if to "Louder, lolly, it makes me happy" and even typing this I have tears in my eyes, because I am amazed at her. She has overcome everyone's expectations and has been breathing on her own since about hour 6. They have run tests on her that we have no results for as of yet. With those results I hope we get answers -of course, with this RARE thing we are dealing with, no one really knows. All we know is she is in no pain, she has good patterns of waking and sleeping, and is breathing on her own. Her blood pressure raises when I am with her, so I know she is aware of me. :) Wishful grandma thinking. She is an angel. I sent pics yesterday, but I haven't got a new one because I don't think of taking pictures. Jessi took some yesterday and I'll try to get her to forward some to all on this. Outside of the trisomy features.. you can sure see Brad in her. So she is a looker. :)

You know, I didn't know how important feet are when you are changing diapers. :) I got the priviledge of changing her diaper a couple of times, and I've been initiated into the pee club. The nurse warned me "She likes fresh air", but I didn't grasp the FULL understanding of that until she peed all over me. :) But I got to pick her up while they changed her bed, so it worked out. :) Wow, she is small, Wow she is mighty.

All I know sweet friends, is God is Good. My number one prayer for my daughter was to be able to hold and love her girl. And He has granted that. My amazing daughter shared with me yesterday that she had her time with Laynie. All the showers, the juice drinking, she had her all to herself for 9 months. "Now it's your time, mom, Your and Brad's and everyone elses." Selfless. I am so greatful for this precious time. Every day with our angel is a gift.

No comments: